Cholesterol is a substance found in all cells of the body, which builds new cells and makes necessary hormones. However, high levels of cholesterol in the blood lead to significant physical damage such as cardiovascular disease, where the fats accumulate on the walls of vessels and arteries to prevent blood from flowing within the body, which makes the person prone to heart attack, and when the cholesterol levels rises, the body shows the symptoms of high cholesterol, and in this article will be clarify those symptoms.
High cholesterol symptoms
The symptoms of high cholesterol appear when harmful cholesterol is accumulated around the vessels and arteries, but these symptoms are not clear often and do not provide early warning and those symptoms:
- The appearance of swelling and yellow spots on the skin, and that is a genetic signs of the existence of problems in cholesterol.
- Pain in the legs and that is because of the slow of the passage of blood in the arteries.
- Impotence in men because of the deposition of cholesterol in the arteries, so that the intimacy becomes tiring.
- High blood pressure that leads to cardiomyopathy.
- Increased blood sugar levels are indicative of a high blood cholesterol.
Diagnosis of high cholesterol
The doctor diagnoses high cholesterol by conducting some tests that show the rates of harmful cholesterol and beneficial, as shown in the measurement of total cholesterol in the blood, where the patient should be fasting for any food or drink, for 12 hours before the examination.
Causes of high cholesterol
There are many reasons for the high cholesterol, including what is genetic and what depends on the behaviors and activities carried out by the human in his daily life and those reasons are:
- The genetic factor is one of the most important causes of high cholesterol in the blood.
- Eating saturated fat.
- Laziness and low physical activity.
- Weight gain more than normal as it works on lowering the beneficial cholesterol and raising the triglycerides.
- Following bad behaviors such as smoking.
- Progressing in life where high cholesterol starts in men at age 50 and when women stay low until menopause and then begin to rise.
- Some diseases such as: thyroid diseases and diabetes.
High cholesterol treatment
The choice of the appropriate medication is one of the most important methods of treatment, and taking the necessary behavioral measures has a role in the treatment of high cholesterol and those treatments are:
- Drugs that inhibit cholesterol.
- Astatine is the most common medication to reduce the proportion of cholesterol, which reduces its secretion in the liver.
- Treating diseases that accompany high cholesterol such as diabetes and stress.
- Maintaining the ideal weight.
- Avoiding foods that contain high fat content.