The food pyramid
The food pyramid is a group of foods divided into several groups that characterized by their importance in building the body and helping it to control weight. It has a hierarchical base that shows the important food types that should be taken daily according to their quantities determined by weight, gender and physical activity. The young people need protein and energy because the amount of energy spent is greater in women, as women need iron-rich foods to compensate for what they lose because of the menstrual cycle, and the US Department of Agriculture has developed this pyramid to explain the foods to be eaten daily, and follow this pyramid reduces the incidence of diseases or lack of vitamins, as it is the foundation stone for the construction of a healthy life.
Benefits of food pyramid
- It is a guide for individuals who want to follow healthy life; there are many pyramid schemes that fit the health status of each individual.
- It reduces the risk of cancer and diabetes.
- It contains all foods that contain vitamins, fats dissolved in water, minerals and antioxidants that protect against infections.
- It protects the body from arteries and veins diseases.
New hierarchical model
- This model was issued in 2011 and is based on dividing food by calories.
- It is based on dividing the food according to the daily needs of the individual.
- This model does not specify daily rations, but the amount of vegetables that a person must eat and then grain then meat, and dairy are the side dish of those daily rations.
Groups of food pyramid
- The first group, which occupies the top of the pyramid, and the body needs them in a few amounts, such as oils and fats such as margarine, vegetable oil, butter and sugars, as it works to supply the body with energy and increase its use causes a lot of diseases.
- The second group: Dairy, cheese, milk and others. This group is important because it is based on building bone and teeth and supply the body with the necessary calcium.
- The third group: Protein is one of the various and important parts and includes red and white meat, fish and seafood such as oyster and caviar. This group contains many sources of grain, such as white beans, lentils, chickpeas, beans and eggs.
- The fourth group: Vegetables and fruits, this group is the basis of the food pyramid because many people neglect it, where the vegetables provide the body with fiber, salts and vitamins that protect the body from diseases, where the lack of vitamins is connected with many health problems, so it is very important to eat vegetables and fruits.
- The fifth group: It includes grain and occupies the bottom of the pyramid and includes pasta, bulgur, rice and bread, which is the first source of energy to the individual to complete the rest of the daily activities.