Indigestion is one of the common problems that hits the digestive system, which occurs as a symptom and not as a disease, which is known as gastric upset or congestion that affects the upper abdominal area with pain and a sense of early fullness when starting to eat, and the way of feeling the symptoms of indigestion might be different from one person to another, and some may have them in a daily bases. This problem appears from having a fatty or spicy meal, which leads to a disorder in the functions of the digestive system that calls for seeing the doctor and receive the appropriate treatment, and in this article we will talk about the ways to treat indigestion.
Symptoms of indigestion
People with indigestion may have the following symptoms:
- Feeling uncomfortable and bulging at the top of the abdominal area.
- Burning in the stomach and acid reflux towards the esophagus.
- Feeling sharp pains in the stomach.
- A condition of nausea, burping and the desire to vomit.
Ways to treat indigestion medically
Some of the medical ways and methods of indigestion treatment recommended by the doctor, which help to get rid of symptoms of indigestion include:
- Avoid eating foods that cause indigestion.
- Divide the daily intake of food into five small meals.
- Stay away from stimulants like caffeine, alcohol and soft drinks.
- Do not overuse the pain medications such as aspirin, naproxen and ibuprofen.
- Stay away from stress, nervousness, tension and anxiety.
- Patients may need to take some antibiotics and antacids as a method of indigestion treatment, such as proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) or antacid (H2RA) antacids in the stomach.
- Take antidepressants that give the patient a sense of comfort and reduce some of the pain and anxiety.
Natural ways to treat indigestion
The patient can resort to using one of the natural ways to treat indigestion at home:
- Drinking soaked ginger effectively helps in the treatment of indigestion, as it stimulates the digestive material and increases the flow of enzymes that help digesting the food in a natural way.
- Drinking boiled cinnamon powder helps in the treatment of gas and bloating.
- Drinking fennel seeds tea can help you get rid of nausea and vomiting, as well as chewing a little of these seeds helps in the treatment of indigestion.
- Eating orange or pineapple fruits, rich in natural acids such as ascorbic acid and citric acid, helps to digest and stimulate digestion efficiency.
- Eating apple with its peal that is rich in fiber is one of the ways to treat indigestion and facilitate bowel movement and accelerate digestion.
- Mixing baking soda with water at home and drinking it works as an antacid, as it neutralizes gastric acid, relieve symptoms and treat indigestion.
- Drinking a glass of water once you feel the problem of indigestion helps to give a sense of comfort and improvement.