- Bluetooth special interest group has announced several months ago about Bluetooth 5.0.
- Shortly, the upgraded technology will find its way to smart phones, computers and tablets, etc.
History of Bluetooth:
- Originally, the technology started at 1994 thanks to Ericsson which worked with multiple companies to find wireless connections between devices to replace the regular connections. They succeeded in their researches and the leading industrial companies such as Intel, Toshiba, IBM and Nokia.
- The first version carried the name of Bluetooth 1.0 and 1.0b and it had many connections problems.
- By the arrival of the new version Bluetooth 1.1, it solved a lot of problems that its predecessor had.
- In November 2003 Bluetooth 1.2 was released and it has many improvements in terms of speed of device discovery, connecting to devices and more resistant to signal interference.
- In 2004, Bluetooth 2.0 and it was faster than all of its predecessors up to 3 mbps.
- By 2007, Bluetooth 2.1 came focusing on security and simplicity in connecting devices.
- Bluetooth 3.0 in 2009 offered higher speed data transfer up to 24mbps, signal filtration between connected devices.
- Bluetooth 4.0 came with not only higher speeds but also lower power consumption.
- Now, Bluetooth 5.0 is the latest and greatest.
- It’ll be 4 times faster than the previous version and with wider coverage area up to 300 meters and it may even vary according to the device.
- A lot less power consumption which will improve performance in some many devices like smart watches for example.
- It’ll contribute in improving other technologies like iBeacon from apple which rely completely on Bluetooth 4.0 and it may even evolve faster with the new version.
- It will be used in connecting car parts without relying much on wires.
- More secure and private.
- The minor drawback will be that it might not be compatible to pair with old devices and for you to use it, you need to have the chip implanted on the motherboard.