Does your job require you to sit for long periods of time? Do you have a lot of free time in front of TV or computer screens? Did you know that sitting for long periods causes a lot of damage? If your answer is yes to one of these questions and you want to identify these damages, and the necessary advice to avoid them, follow this article.
- Damage caused by sitting for long periods:
- Sitting for long periods makes you more prone to obesity.
- Increases the risk of death from cardiovascular disease, such as angina or heart attacks.
- Makes you more susceptible to high blood pressure.
- Makes you more susceptible to diabetes.
- Increases the risk of dying from cancer.
- Increases fat build-up around the waist, making you more prone to high blood cholesterol.
- There is a recent study comparing two people, one sitting less than two hours in front of television, computer or at work, and the other sitting for more than four hours connected, and found that a person sitting for longer periods in a relationship is 50% more likely than the other person to die Without any reason, and more likely than the other person to develop heart disease.
- Tips to avoid the damage of sitting for long periods:
The solution is simple… It is generally reduce the sitting for long periods in a continuous work or in front of the television and computer screens, while increasing your movement and activity during the day by:
1 – Hide while talking on the phone instead of sitting.
2 – If you want a colleague at work, go to her instead of talking to her on the phone or send an email.
3 – If you want to get a file, go and get it instead of looking for it while you are sitting in your place.
4 – When going to the bathroom if there are two ways choose the longest way.
5 – If you can stand up during meetings do so instead of sitting.
6 – Park your car a little distance from the work building, to give you the opportunity to walk even for a few minutes.
7 – Take a short break during work every hour, and walk a little in your place for a minute, or even just stand can avoid all the above mentioned damage, and you can set an alarm to remind you of this.
8 – Increase most of your physical activity during the day, and you can do this by exercising or walking fast for ten minutes a day, or climb the ladder instead of the elevator, or do some household chores.