Intestinal obstruction is a mechanical obstruction and disorder that occurs in the intestine. This blockage prevents the passage of the intestine contents naturally, occurs in the part of the intestine, as in the duodenum located in the small intestine, and it might be partially or completely blocked and usually treated surgically after the diagnosis of a specialist.
Symptoms of intestinal obstruction
- Pain and swelling in the abdomen.
- Normal vomiting may also be a fecal vomiting, and if the color of vomiting is green, you should go urgently to the hospital.
- Severe constipation when the blockage occurs completely.
- Diarrhea when it is partially blocked.
- The patient loses his appetite to eat.
- Dryness in the body.
- Sleep heavily, laziness and inactivity.
- Failure to breathe properly, due to pressure on the diaphragm.
- Abdominal cramps may persist for a few minutes, as a result of the patient’s intestinal obstruction.
Causes of intestinal obstruction
- The presence of cancerous tumor in the last part of the small intestine (ileum).
- The intestines may contain some foreign objects such as pebbles, leading to obstruction of the small intestine.
- The bowel gets narrow, resulting in poor blood flow.
- Hernia in the small intestine.
- Surgery in the abdominal area may follow the adhesion of the intestine to each other, leading to obstruction.
- Interference of the intestine with each other in the case of severe diarrhea, especially in children.
- Crohn’s disease.
- Colon, cecum, or transverse gyration.
- Stiffness of the stool inside the large intestine.
Treatment of intestinal obstruction
When doctors are aware of the patient’s intestinal obstruction, some procedures are done in the hospital, including:
- The patient’s body provides adequate amounts of fluids that restore the body’s balance, through the so-called central venous catheterization, and the receiving of substances and other drugs to the body, such as antibiotics.
- A food tube is placed in the mouth, by entering it from the nose to the esophagus and even the stomach, because most patients suffer from vomiting during the disease, thus extracting excess fluid in the stomach and intestines and re-energizing the blood circulation.
- Complete intestinal obstruction needs surgical intervention to get rid of it.
Treatment of intestinal obstruction with herbs
- Treatment using natural honey, by adding the amount of honey to an appropriate amount of warm water and drink it.
- Treatment with diluted apple vinegar added to water and is useful for intestinal obstruction.
- Mix the plants of thyme, marjoram, sage and chamomile in equal quantities, and boil and drink as a natural treatment.